Vitamin D deficiency is defined when serum (25 (OH) D) is less than or equal to 20 ng/ml and it is associated with many painful syndromes like carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). CTS is one of the common entrapment neuropathy that is caused by compression of the median nerve at the wrist joint. To describes the relationship between Carpal tunnel syndrome and Vitamin D deficiency in addition to the effect of vitamin D therapy in decreasing the severity of pain in CTS. We select 32 out of 44 patients present with CTS. We assess it is severity clinically by using visual analogue score and electromyography/nerve conduction study (EMG/NCS). We send all patients for serum vitamin D before and after three months of vitamin D therapy. CTS is common in female patients of right dominant hand with age 40-49 years old in about 43.75%. there is a significant relationship between vitamin D deficiency and pain score before and after treatment with vitamin D. The increased level of vitamin D, the less pain score. There is an obvious link between vitamin D and clinical symptoms improvement of patients with CTS.
- Shaimaa M Okasha, Maii A Abdel-latif, Marwa Orabi et al. Evaluation of Vitamin D level in Women with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. suez canal university medical journal. 2018.20:136-141.
- Demiryurek BE, Gundogdu AA. The effect of vitamin D level on pain in carpal tunnel syndrome. Sakarya Training and Research Hospital, Sakarya, Turkey. orthopedic & traumatology: Surgery & Research. 2017;103:919-922.
- Wimalawansa SJ. Non-musculoskeletal benefits of vitamin D. the journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology. 2018;175:60-81.
- Maria Helde-Frankling and Linda Bjorkhem-Bergman. Vitamin D in pain management. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2017;18(10).
- Forrest KYZ, Stuhldreher WL. Prevalence and correlates of vitamin D deficiency in US adults. Nutrition Research. 2011;31(1):48-54.
- Borissova A-M, Shinkov A, Vlahov J, Dakovska L, Todorov T, Svinarov D, et al. Determination of the optimal level of 25(OH)D in the Bulgarian population. Endocrinologia 2012;17(3):135–42.
- Hantoosh HA, Mahdi MH, Imran BW et al. Prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency in Iraqi female at reproductive age. Medical journal of Babylon. 2019;16(2):119-122.
- Singh DP, Rahman SA, Prasad K. Carpal tunnel syndrome: A clinical and electrophysiological appraisal in carpal tunnel syndrome. Journal of medical science and clinical research. 2016;4(11):14004-14009.
- Kasundra GM, Sood I, Bhargava AN et al. Carpal tunnel syndrome: analyzing efficacy and utility of clinical tests and various diagnostic modalities. J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2015; 6:504-10.
- Srikanteswara PK, Cheluvalah JD, Agadi JB, et al. The relationship between nerve conduction study and clinical grading of carpal tunnel syndrome. journal of clinical and diagnostic research. 2016;10(7): OC13-OC18.
- Cunha TAL, Oliveira Filho OM, Ribeiro MB. Phalen test positivation time and it’s correlation with electroneuromyography. Acta Ortop Bras. 2020;28(3):114-6.
- Ollivere BJ, Logan K, Ellahee N et al. Severity scoring in carpal tunnel syndrome helps predict the value of conservative therapy. J hand surgery Eur. 2009;34(4):511-5.
- Wewers ME, Lowe NK. A critical review of visual analogue scales in the measurement of clinical phenomena. research in nursing and health. 1990;13:227-236.
- Padua L, Lomonaco M, Gregore B et al. Neurophysiological classification and sensitivity in 500 carpal tunnel syndrome hands. Acta Neurol Scand. 1997;96:211-217.
- Rabar M. Abdulrahman, Balen Muhsin Abdul Rahman. Prevalence of vitamin D level in the serum of patients living in Erbil city, Iraq, referred to private clinic laboratory and effect of age and sex on it. Journal of biological research. 2018;91:6916.
- Parva N R, Tadepalli S, Singh P et al. Prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency and associated risk factors in US population (2011-2012). Cureus. 2018;10(6): e2741.
- Martin KR, Reid DM. Is there a role for vitamin D in the treatment of chronic pain?. Ther Adv Musculoskel Dis. 2017; 9(6):131-135.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.