The current report presents a case of late-onset systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). A 75-year-old Caucasian woman was admitted to the clinical hospital because of dyspnea, dry cough, low-grade fever, wrist pain. There were no oral and skin lesions or lymphadenopathy observed. Laboratory tests revealed hypochromic microcytic anemia with hemoglobin 111 g/l, lymphopenia 0,54 x 10/l, the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) elevation up to 47 mm/h and the C-reactive protein level up to 10,7 mg/l. Tumor markers (CA-125, CA-19.9, СА-15,3, α-fetoprotein) concentration, hepatic and renal function were within the reference ranges. Of note, urinalysis didn’t reveal proteinuria or microscopic hematuria and was considered normal. Computed tomography revealed bilateral pulmonary consolidation in S10, sacculated pleuritis, solitary lymphadenopathy, and pericardial effusions. Diagnosis of SLE was confirmed based on three clinical signs (synovitis of proximal interphalangeal joints, serositis including pleuritis, hematological disorders: anemia, lymphocytopenia) and positive findings of three immunological tests (anti-double-stranded DNA antibodies [Anti-dsDNA], antinuclear antibodies [ANA], and anti-nucleosome antibodies [ANuA]). This case demonstrates that late-onset SLE may be one of the reasons for the accumulation of pleural fluid in elderly patients.
- Gergianaki I, Bertsias G. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Primary Care: an update and practical messages for the General Practitioner. Front Med (Lausanne). 2018, 5, 161. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2018.00161. eCollection 2018
- Gergianaki I, Bortoluzzi A, Bertsias G. Update on the epidemiology, risk factors, and disease outcomes of systemic lupus erythematosus. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2018, 32(2), 188-205.
- Rees F, Doherty M, Grainge MJ, Lanyon P, Zhang W. The worldwide incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus: a systematic review of epidemiological studies. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017, 56(11), 1945-1961.
- Lim SS, Bayakly AR, Helmick CG, Gordon C, Easley KA, Drenkard C. The incidence and prevalence of systemic lupus erythematosus, 2002–2004: The Georgia Lupus Registry. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2014, 66(2), 357-368.
- Ugolini-Lopes MR, Santos LPS, Stagnaro C, Seguro LPC, Mosca M, Bonfá E. Late-onset biopsy-proven lupus nephritis without other associated autoimmune diseases: severity and long-term outcome. Lupus. 2019, 28(1), 123-128.
- So C, Imai R, Tomishima Y, Nishimura N. Bilateral pleuritis as the initial symptom of systemic lupus erythematosus: a case series and literature review. Intern Med. 2019;58(11), 1617-1620.
- Kutky M, Aloudat S. Late-onset systemic lupus erythematosus with lupus nephritis in a 74-year-old male: a brief case and review. Can J Kidney Health Dis. 2018; 5, 2054358118793397.
- Leuchten N, Hoyer A, Brinks R, Schoels M, Schneider M, Smolen Jet al. Performance of antinuclear antibodies for classifying systemic lupus erythematosus: a systematic literature review and meta-regression of diagnostic data. Arthritis care & research.2018, 70(3), 428-438.
- Berens-Norman HM, Boackle SA. Editorial: subduing lupus: can preclinical autoimmune disease be arrested? Arthritis Rheumatol. 2016, 68(10), 2357-2360.
- Živković V, Stanković A, Cvetković T, Mitić B, Kostić S, Nedović J et al. Anti-dsDNA, anti-nucleosome and anti-C1q antibodies as disease activity markers in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Srp Arh Celok Lek. 2014, 142(7-8), 431-436.
- Cildag S, Kara Y, Cakir E, Cildag MB, Senturk T. Comparison of clinical and laboratory findings in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus with regard to age at onset. Eurasian J Med. 2019, 51(1), 17-21.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.