Systemic lupus erythematosus is a chronic, systemic, non-organ-specific autoimmune disease that affects all organs and systems of the human body and is characterized by the production of autoantibodies against nuclear antigens. Its prevalence in Europe reaches 1:2500. It affects mostly women (female : male ratio=9 : 1) in fertile age group (15-45 years). The clinical course of lupus in males is characterized by more aggressive clinical course and the development of serious complications, such as vasculitis, central nervous system involvement, antiphospholipid syndrome, etc. For the period of 7 years (2012-2019) we observed overall 18 male patients with systemic lupus, 11 with biopsy-proven renal involvement and 7 without clinically significant renal disease (proteinuria < 0.5 g/24 h., no erythrocyturia/cylindruria, normal renal function), mean age at the diagnosis 39.6 +/- 12.3 years. All patients received pathogenetic treatment (corticosteroids + cytotoxic agents). Three had secondary antiphospholipid syndrome, 1 – inflammatory bowel disease, 1 – seronegative spondyloarthropathy. Three had type 2 diabetes. The authors discuss the clinical, immunological and histological characteristics and the therapeutic approach in males with systemic lupus.
- Manson JJ, Rahman A. Systemic lupus erythematosus. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2006;1:6.
- Lu LJ, Wallace DJ, Ishimori ML et al. Male systemic lupus erythematosus: a review of sex disparities in this disease. Lupus 2010;19:119-129.
- Tan TC, Fang H, Magder L et al. Differences between male and female systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic population. J Rheumatol 2012;39:759-769.
- Faezi ST, Hosseini Almodarresi M, Akbarian M, et al. Clinical and immunological pattern of systemic lupus erythematosus in men in a cohort of 2355 patients. Int J Rheum Dis 2014; 17: 394–399.
- Tan EM, Cohen AS, Fries JF, et al. The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1982;25(11):1271-1277.
- Soto МЕ, Vallejo М, Guillén F, et al. Gender impact in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clini Exp Rheumatol 2004;22:713-721.
- Wallace DJ, Hahn BH, eds. Dubois’ lupus erythematosus, 6th edn. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002.
- Murphy G, Isenberg D. Effect of gender on clinical presentation in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology 2013;52:2108-2115.
- da Silva LS, Almeida BL, de Melo Ak, et al. IgA nephropathy in systemic lupus erythematosus patients: case report and literature review. Rev Bras Reumatol Engl Ed 2016;56(3):270-273.
- M. Nikolova, A. Iliev, G. Venkov, et al. Association of type 2 diabetes and membranous glomerulonephritis. Med Pregled 2006;42(3):100-102.
- Bohan A. Seronegative systemic lupus erythematosus. J Rheumatol 1979;6(5):534-540.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.